One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With physical difficulty.‘'It's bad, sir', he said, controlling his voice with effort’
with difficulty, after a struggle, with a struggle, painfully, arduously, laboriously, hardView synonyms
- ‘What Alstott lacks in breakaway speed, he makes up for with effort.’
- ‘If it were gained through patience, with effort, and struggle, then it would be called knowledge.’
- ‘Marcos tries to speak, his throat swells with effort.’
- ‘She gave a hard suck for emphasis, her pale cheeks pink with effort.’
- ‘Sally takes a deep breath, shuddering with effort.’
- ‘Flushed with effort, gesticulating for emphasis, Healey dove for opportunities to drive her message home last night.’
- ‘With effort, I drag the kayak into the water.’
- ‘With effort, speakers of the two dialects can understand each other's pronunciation, much the way Portuguese can comprehend Spanish.’
- ‘Practice is something you do consciously, something you do with effort.’
- ‘It all starts with effort and it all starts with belief.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.