One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an insurance policy) allowing the holder to receive a share of the profits made by the company, typically in the form of a bonus.
- ‘In addition, it is a mutual company and profits, if realised from its other businesses, are paid into the with-profits fund.’
- ‘In cashing in the policy you will miss out on the terminal bonus, which in the past has made up a major proportion of maturity value of with-profits policies.’
- ‘Industry sources say it has never happened in Ireland that a with-profits provider has not awarded a terminal bonus.’
- ‘Your money is invested in a with-profits fund, which invests in a spread of shares, bonds and other assets.’
- ‘Traditionally with-profits bonds are seen as long-term investments of about 10 years.’
- ‘This is grim news for its 2.3 million policyholders with mortgage endowments, personal pensions and with-profits bonds.’
- ‘This process is called ‘smoothing’ and it's supposedly the big selling point for with-profits products.’
- ‘It's reckoned that twenty million of us have a with-profits policy, whether through an endowment mortgage or a pension plan.’
- ‘The compensation would go into the with-profits fund, which policyholders could expect to have distributed among them.’
- ‘As part of its understanding pensions series, BBC News Online provides an introduction to with-profits pensions.’
- ‘Bonus rates on its with-profits bond have also been cut.’
- ‘In addition to scrapping its mortgage promise, it announced changes to the way it is to pay bonuses to its with-profits customers.’
- ‘The shares will be distributed to all holders of a with-profits insurance policy at the time of listing.’
- ‘However, bonuses on with-profits funds have been falling, which means your payouts could tumble.’
- ‘The decision means that about one million holders of with-profits policies are unlikely to receive annual bonuses in respect of 2002.’
- ‘It is also the first provider to offer a with-profits investment option.’
- ‘The problem for with-profits bond holders, as opposed to those with equity holdings, arises when they want to get at their money.’
- ‘The endowment mortgages, with-profits funds and private pensions on which people staked their futures are a national scandal.’
- ‘It is unusual to see a with-profits bonus announcement that's not littered with bad news for policyholders.’
- ‘Some insurers are imposing these on savers in with-profits policies such as endowments and bonds, to prevent them from cashing them in early.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.