One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of witchcraft.as modifier ‘my hideous appearance and witching skills’
the witching hour
Midnight (with reference to the belief that witches are active and magic takes place at that time).
- ‘If they arrive before the witching hour, women pay only NT $200.’
- ‘It was the hour between light and dark; the witching hour.’
- ‘Despite their moniker, all Midnight Madness films screen twice, once at the witching hour and once during the day or early evening.’
- ‘We may not know the outcome until well past midnight on the East Coast, but sometime in the witching hour, we shall receive the final tally.’
- ‘Maybe it was just because it was Halloween night, midnight, the witching hour upon us, and I was just projecting.’
- ‘It's just over four hours now until the witching hour.’
- ‘A thousand children were packed into stands on the Castle Esplanade to be entertained by fire-eaters, torch throwers and jugglers as the witching hour - midnight - approached.’
- ‘As the clock-hands sweep into the witching hour, on October 30, a new season of gab and glitter will open at the Varscona Theatre.’
- ‘A spell was cast over Croydon as hundreds of Harry Potter fans waited for the witching hour to get their hands on the latest instalment of the child wizard's adventures.’
- ‘In the baronial study, the girl, her lover, the cop and a few businessmen all wait for the witching hour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.