One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With a feeling of vague or regretful longing.‘he smiled wistfully as he spoke of her’‘I wistfully recall moments of my youth’
- ‘Titles and badges are exercised as such a weapon, to which you and I look up wistfully.’
- ‘At first, she looked around her, suspiciously, as if distrusting eaves-droppers; then she gazed wistfully into the face of her attentive companion.’
- ‘Wistfully she watched Mrs Toland tying little Constance's sash and straightening her flower-crowned hat for church.’
- ‘He looks wistfully down from the second-story balcony of the smallpox pavilion.’
- ‘Wistfully through the sunshine, Wistfully through the rain, They watch for his returning Who will never return again.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.