One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With a feeling of vague or regretful longing.‘he smiled wistfully as he spoke of her’‘I wistfully recall moments of my youth’
- ‘Wistfully through the sunshine, Wistfully through the rain, They watch for his returning Who will never return again.’
- ‘At first, she looked around her, suspiciously, as if distrusting eaves-droppers; then she gazed wistfully into the face of her attentive companion.’
- ‘Wistfully she watched Mrs Toland tying little Constance's sash and straightening her flower-crowned hat for church.’
- ‘He looks wistfully down from the second-story balcony of the smallpox pavilion.’
- ‘Titles and badges are exercised as such a weapon, to which you and I look up wistfully.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.