One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rat of a strain developed for laboratory purposes.
- ‘Albino Wistar rats fed on standard chow diet were obtained from the Animal House, College of Medicine, King Faisal University and used for the study.’
- ‘Male Wistar rats were given 10 or 20% ethanol in the drinking water for 3 or 6 weeks and no chromosome aberrations were found in the bone marrow or peripheral blood lymphocytes.’
- ‘A total of 78 Wistar rats were divided into 13 groups of 6 animals each.’
- ‘The subjects were 16 male hooded Wistar rats supplied by the Laboratory Animal Services Branch of the University of Adelaide, Australia.’
- ‘All experiments were conducted on male Wistar rats in accordance with regulations of the French Ministry of Agriculture.’
1930s: named after the Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, Philadelphia, US.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.