Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having or expressing a desire or hope for something to happen:‘I had heard the same wishful tone over the phone’
- ‘I began to think that in reality these are wishful words, appearing long before anything resembling order had started to happen.’
- ‘Not out there in some wishful scenario of the future, but in a date nailed down in time.’
- ‘He pulled away a little and looked her in the eye and repeated his wishful words as clearly as he could.’
- ‘Jack made all sorts of wonderful plans for their lives together, some more wishful than realistic.’
- ‘He does not understand her, but is moved to see her so earnest and wishful.’
- ‘I said in a wishful small voice hoping she'll forgive me and save me the humiliation by just pointing to my desk.’
- ‘She starts responding to his wishful blabberings about the future.’
- ‘Rowan, who had heard such wishful schemes before, tried not to get his hopes up.’
- ‘Others drew somewhat wishful links between the anti-war movement and the inquiry.’
- ‘It's a simple refusal to acknowledge reality, a wishful desire to escape the order of things.’
- 1.1 Based on impractical wishes rather than facts:‘without resources the proposed measures were merely wishful thinking’
- ‘It seems to be based on wishful thinking rather than scientific evidence.’
- ‘The ties of community are fragile; they are hard to weave but easy to break; they can't be drawn together by wishful thinking.’
- ‘I suspect his assertion, memorable though it is, was based on wishful thinking.’
- ‘The link he assumes between local control and sustainable development is based on wishful thinking.’
- ‘My conviction is based not on wishful thinking, but on my experiences living in a totalitarian regime.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.