One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The European bison.See bison
- ‘As a result of this breeding program, there are now over two thousand wisents in the world.’
- ‘All five wisents stayed for several months in the enclosure before being released into the National Park.’
- ‘Following the war it was estimated than only sixty purebred wisents existed in the entire world.’
- ‘However, hunting eradicated most populations, and the current range of the wisent is very restricted.’
- ‘Bison bonasus, the European bison or wisent, has been restricted to mainland Europe throughout its history.’
Mid 19th century: from German; related to bison.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.