One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man versed in magic, witchcraft, or astrology.See also Three Wise Men
prophet, prophetess, seer, sibyl, augur, wise woman, sage, oracle, prognosticator, prophesier, forecaster of the future, diviner, fortune teller, crystal gazer, clairvoyant, psychic, spiritualist, medium, palmist, palm readerView synonyms
- ‘They were the healers, the teachers, and the wise men and women others would turn to in times of trouble.’
- ‘He calls his wise men, and he demands that they interpret the dreams.’
- ‘Each of the wise men had their own beliefs about the Holy Mountain and, of course, their own way of getting there.’
- ‘So they'd been told by wise men, who'd seen the light.’
- ‘Matthew describes the three men, not as kings, but as wise men or ‘Magi’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.