One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The worm-like larva of a click beetle. Many wireworms feed on the underground parts of plants and can cause damage to arable and other crops.
- ‘Although the risk of injury from seedling insects such as wireworms and seed corn maggots is reduced with a later planting, there is no post-emergence treatment for these insects.’
- ‘Later in the season, wireworms will feed on plant roots and may damage developing potato tubers.’
- ‘More wireworms and white grubs have been observed and increased numbers of dingy cutworms, which overwinter here, are likely.’
- ‘It appears that these seed applied insecticides and liquid insecticides will be effective in protecting seeds from seed feeding insects such as wireworms and seedcorn maggots.’
- ‘While often corn might quickly outgrow the threat of significant pest damage, when plant growth stalled, armyworms, cutworms, wireworms, and white grubs found opportunity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.