Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The worm-like larva of a click beetle. Many wireworms feed on the underground parts of plants and can cause damage to arable and other crops.
- ‘It appears that these seed applied insecticides and liquid insecticides will be effective in protecting seeds from seed feeding insects such as wireworms and seedcorn maggots.’
- ‘More wireworms and white grubs have been observed and increased numbers of dingy cutworms, which overwinter here, are likely.’
- ‘Later in the season, wireworms will feed on plant roots and may damage developing potato tubers.’
- ‘Although the risk of injury from seedling insects such as wireworms and seed corn maggots is reduced with a later planting, there is no post-emergence treatment for these insects.’
- ‘While often corn might quickly outgrow the threat of significant pest damage, when plant growth stalled, armyworms, cutworms, wireworms, and white grubs found opportunity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.