One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of connecting a listening device to a telephone line to monitor conversations secretly.
observation, scrutiny, watch, view, inspection, monitoring, supervision, superintendenceView synonyms
- ‘Until the proposals to change wiretapping and surveillance laws are made more specific, it is difficult to assess how damaging to civil liberties they will be.’
- ‘But even more controversial are sections that make subtle changes in the rules for wiretapping, surveillance, e-mail monitoring, financial investigation, and search and seizure.’
- ‘Keep in mind that the report covers only wiretapping performed in criminal cases, and does not include wiretapping in national security cases.’
- ‘These tools enable the government to intercept far more information without a warrant - i.e. without probable cause - than traditional telephone wiretapping.’
- ‘The use of so-called secure telephones presents almost no barrier to wiretapping, according to official US government documents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.