One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person, especially a politician, who exerts control or influence from behind the scenes.
manipulator, manoeuvrer, mover, worker, string-puller, mover and shaker, wheeler-dealerView synonyms
- ‘‘True enough,’ sighed the wirepuller, recalling his adventures with sock-puppet political appointees.’
- ‘Among American Presidents he is the supreme example of the political wirepuller, the leader who gets things done without ever seeming to lead.’
- ‘Every politician has enemies who claim they are but puppets for evil wirepullers.’
- ‘These same wirepullers then used the government to push the interstate highway system on the country.’
- ‘Let us not, for even one moment, doubt the intentions of the wirepuller.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.