Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1US An installer or repairer of electric wiring.
- ‘A total of 786 candidates passed the competency certificate examination for supervisors and wiremen conducted in June this year by the State Board of Technical Education and Training.’
- ‘A journeyman electrician or wireman will still be responsible for answering to the job foreman, contractor or building foreman throughout the job.’
- ‘Inside wiremen are responsible for the installation of all wires, busses, conduits, switches, converters, transformers, electric motors, and other electrical apparatus of a stationary nature.’
- ‘Now certain companies have come into existence which employee residential wiremen to serve their customers.’
- ‘Under the direct supervision of journeymen wiremen, the apprentice will learn the skills associated with being an electrician.’
2A journalist working for a news agency:‘a job as a night wireman at a Toronto press agency’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.