One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of the daisy family, which produces fragrant lilac flowers in winter.
Petasites fragrans, family Compositae
- ‘In areas where thick leafy ground cover is needed over damp areas, the rampant winter heliotrope sends up sweet almond scented flowers before the leaves in February.’
- ‘I was interested to read your comment about winter heliotrope being an introduced species.’
- ‘Where the rough path to the butterfly meadow leads off from the main loop, look for flowers of the winter heliotrope.’
- ‘In winter you have dogwoods, mosses, lichens, fungi and winter heliotrope.’
- ‘And elsewhere in the county Asian laurel and winter heliotrope, originally from Africa, are smothering native species.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.