Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The maximum extent across the wings of an aircraft or of a bird or other flying animal, measured from tip to tip.‘an eagle with a wingspan of 7 ft’
- ‘That would have been a huge wingspan for a bird, much less for a bat.’
- ‘The hydrogen-fueled aircraft has a wingspan of approximately 5 feet, measures 12 feet long and weighs about 2,800 pounds.’
- ‘With their stately stature, wingspreads as broad as eight feet, loud calls, and elaborate courtship dances, cranes are among the most impressive birds in the world.’
- ‘The American White Pelican is a huge white bird with a nine-foot wingspan.’
- ‘They include the largest known bats; Indonesian flying foxes may have wingspans of up to six feet (two meters).’
- ‘A substantial part of the lift generated by the forward-swept wing occurs at the inner portion of the wingspan.’
- ‘With a wingspan of three feet or more, flying foxes are the largest mammals capable of sustained flight.’
- ‘Great teratorn birds with 25-foot wingspans stalked prey.’
- ‘Experts on the red kite - a spectacular bird with a wingspan of up to 6ft - say it is essentially a scavenger which feeds on carrion rather than attacking sheep or game birds.’
- ‘The Andean condor, one of the world's largest flying birds, soars on ten-foot (three-meter) wingspans and can weigh up to 33 pounds.’
- ‘The adult is a pretty moth about 1 inch long with a wingspread of 1 1/2 inches; in its northern range, it may be only 1/2 inch long.’
- ‘Females weigh about 2 pounds with a wingspread of 40 to 46 inches, while a male will weigh in at about 1 ½ pounds and span just 37 to 39 inches, roughly the size of a crow.’
- ‘To be surrounded by dozens of squawking, hissing sea birds with 10 ft wingspans was one thing, but add to that a pod of 600 acrobatic dusky dolphins and you had a wildlife spectacle to rival anything on earth.’
- ‘The surface area of the wings is tremendous and the wingspan large, but the relative length of the fuselage is shorter than most other aircraft of its era.’
- ‘It was a supreme moment when a wandering albatross, the bird with the largest wingspan of any bird, arrived!’
- ‘The air vehicle is a low wing monoplane with a wingspan of 3.42m, length 2.29m and height 0.96m.’
- ‘With a 500-foot wingspan, the aircraft is designed to fly at just 20 feet above the sea, giving it a longer range - up to 10,000 nautical miles over water.’
- ‘With a three-foot wingspan and two long, streaming tail feathers, these birds are easy to recognize.’
- ‘Swans are large birds with a wingspan of four feet or more and although injuries to humans are rare they are not unknown.’
- ‘The presence of a bird with a wingspan of around 1.5m must have been very distressing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.