Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dam or barrier built into a stream to deflect the current.
- ‘Catfish were not found behind rocks along the irregular and steeply sloping bank or wing dam face.’
- ‘Needless to say the rocky composition is habitat for food, and the wing dam provides a current break.’
- ‘The depth of the wing dam allows you to safely move over the top of it and the large scour hole allows a place for fish to get out of the current.’
- ‘The most notorious obstructions are the wing dams.’
- ‘In order to map the network of wing dams, low-altitude aerial photographs at extreme low water will be needed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.