One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dam or barrier built into a stream to deflect the current.
- ‘In order to map the network of wing dams, low-altitude aerial photographs at extreme low water will be needed.’
- ‘The depth of the wing dam allows you to safely move over the top of it and the large scour hole allows a place for fish to get out of the current.’
- ‘The most notorious obstructions are the wing dams.’
- ‘Needless to say the rocky composition is habitat for food, and the wing dam provides a current break.’
- ‘Catfish were not found behind rocks along the irregular and steeply sloping bank or wing dam face.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.