One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a bird's wing) each of the smaller feathers covering the bases of the flight feathers.
plume, quillView synonyms
- ‘The name of these birds comes from the vivid red coloring of the wing coverts.’
- ‘To gain a general idea of overall plumage color pattern, we scanned the following color patches for each individual: crown, beard, collar, chest, belly, back, rump, primary tail feathers, wing coverts, and epaulets.’
- ‘Both sexes have black plumage with conspicuous black curled tertials and wing coverts.’
- ‘Rusty, scaly back and wing coverts, greyish cap and rump, pinkish breast and neck barring.’
- ‘In males, we could also distinguish between juveniles and adults, as the greater upper wing coverts of the juveniles are gray, whereas these feathers are pure white in adults.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.