One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player who plays in a wide position on the field, taking part both in attack and defence.
- ‘I suppose I would have to say left back because that is where I have played most of my career, but I can also play in a wing back role or on the left side of midfield.’
- ‘Last month's signing of Peter Kennedy has had some people speculating that Paul Jewell might be ready to experiment with a wing back system with three centre backs in defence.’
- ‘We see him as a wing back because as an out and out winger he can deliver a good ball and at only 19 he has got bags of potential.’
- ‘St. Pat's were reduced to 14 men when their wing back and captain Andy Jameson was sidelined on a second yellow card midway through the second half.’
- ‘The wing back had been the Celtic player closest to Larsson when he collapsed in a challenge with Lyon defender Serge Blanc.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.