One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player who plays in a wide position on the field, taking part both in attack and defence.
- ‘I suppose I would have to say left back because that is where I have played most of my career, but I can also play in a wing back role or on the left side of midfield.’
- ‘We see him as a wing back because as an out and out winger he can deliver a good ball and at only 19 he has got bags of potential.’
- ‘Last month's signing of Peter Kennedy has had some people speculating that Paul Jewell might be ready to experiment with a wing back system with three centre backs in defence.’
- ‘The wing back had been the Celtic player closest to Larsson when he collapsed in a challenge with Lyon defender Serge Blanc.’
- ‘St. Pat's were reduced to 14 men when their wing back and captain Andy Jameson was sidelined on a second yellow card midway through the second half.’
An offensive back who lines up outside an end.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.