Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport or pastime of riding on water on a sailboard.
- ‘One side of the island has a terrific beach and a large lagoon, with windsurfing, water bikes, dinghy sailing, and safe bathing.’
- ‘Both Thai and foreign women are becoming addicted to the sport of windsurfing.’
- ‘With over 20 million windsurfers around the globe, this initiative is targeting windsurfing and related water sports as a tourism attraction.’
- ‘Water sports are a major attraction here, including water-skiing, kayaking, windsurfing and paraskiing.’
- ‘Water-skiing, windsurfing, kayaking, sail boating and snorkeling are complimentary on the entire Windstar line.’
- ‘So when Nikos Kaklamanakis, who won a gold medal for windsurfing at Sydney four years ago, walked out there were more than one or two puzzled expressions.’
- ‘Also, water sports enthusiasts may prefer to stick to the surfing, windsurfing and kite-surfing meccas of Maui and Oahu, rather than visit all of the islands.’
- ‘Kitesurfing evolved in the mid-1990s out of other extreme water sports, combining the most exciting elements of windsurfing and wakeboarding and taking them to vastly greater heights.’
- ‘All of the amenities are at hand, including tennis courts, squash, minigolf, windsurfing, pedal boats, kayaks, water-skiing, parasailing, scuba diving and fitness areas.’
- ‘As she rattles off a list of pursuits that include snorkeling, kayaking, beach volleyball, scuba diving, windsurfing and water skiing, my anticipation and adrenaline levels skyrocket.’
- ‘His own advisers confessed one of their greatest regrets was allowing the senator to be photographed windsurfing - a sport of the jet-set elite, rather than the average Joe.’
- ‘In essence, this new intense sport is windsurfing without those nasty, nonsensical items like safety or sanity.’
- ‘Beaches are used for swimming, surfing, jogging, cycling, horseback riding, and windsurfing.’
- ‘She worked overseas for three years, teaching windsurfing and waterskiing in America, and learning to scuba dive in Fiji.’
- ‘Fishing, waterskiing, windsurfing, boat races and swimming are also favorite activities.’
- ‘Adults can amuse themselves with windsurfing, water-skiing, snorkelling lessons and paragliding.’
- ‘Water sports, including sailing, windsurfing, and fishing, are popular with Bahamians and tourists alike.’
- ‘Daytime activities include golf, tennis, mountain biking, water skiing, windsurfing, sailing and snorkelling - all are available with qualified instruction.’
- ‘Water sports such as canoeing, yachting, windsurfing and swimming should be encouraged.’
- ‘He loves extreme sports like windsurfing, motor racing and water jet riding.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.