Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘While tempered glass in side windows can be recycled, the glass in windshields and backlights needs to be separated from the laminate layers before it can be reused.’
- ‘Other congregations have cleaned toilets at businesses, washed windshields of parked cars, fed parking meters and given away bottles of cold water as part of outreach programs.’
- ‘In addition to testing exterior mirrors, vibration tests are also run on interior mirrors for convertibles that mount to windshields that are not supported by a header.’
- ‘For example, if you have had three claims over the past three years, but they are small property claims, broken windshields or minor scratches repaired on the car, your policy will probably be okay.’
- ‘The windshield is installed by robot while workers plop the rear window in place.’
- ‘Apparently, more than one golfer at the course had a horrendous slice that was putting golf balls squarely onto the roofs and into the fenders and windshields of cars parked on the top level of a parking garage.’
- ‘Keep your headlights and your windshields clean.’
- ‘The windshields of NASA vehicles parked outside the building were shattered by the panels, which Kennedy described as flying shrapnel.’
- ‘For military aircraft, windshields need further strengthening modifications, and some of the older aircraft are probably still vulnerable during bird strikes.’
- ‘The market decides whether cars have contiguous frames, shatterproof windshields, protected gas tanks, air bags or seatbelts, and what the height of SUV bumpers ought to be.’
- ‘This is because debris, wind, bugs or insects may still pass behind a windshield.’
- ‘How does water flow down and then drain off a windshield during the de-icing phase?’
- ‘The baby could fly through the windshield, hit the dashboard or be crushed by your body.’
- ‘Window stickers, such as those already displayed on Volvo windshields, were mentioned.’
- ‘There is no engine to see over, so the windshield area extends down to the floor.’
- ‘Other robots slot-and-tab the windshield frame and roof in place before they are welded.’
- ‘The theory is that an eagle dropped the fish, and it hit the windshield of an aircraft.’
- ‘Confederate flags rode beside American banners stuck on bumpers and windshields, the historical anachronism of the pairing apparently lost on the owners.’
- ‘Replace wiper blades once a year or when they start to leave streaks across your windshield.’
- ‘Nadeem picked up a cloth from the dashboard and wiped the windshield, but the mist was on the outside of the glass.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.