One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting the people who emigrated from the Caribbean to Britain on the British ship the Empire Windrush in 1948.‘the Windrush generation’
- ‘He successfully initiated the Windrush season, which raised the profile of Black History.’
- ‘The black male unemployment rate is at the same levels today as it was in the days of the 1948 Windrush generation.’
- ‘What Pressure tried to do was to portray the experience of the Windrush generation, the kids who came with them and the kids born here.’
- ‘Stratford East's search for new musical forms comes good with this ska version of Love's Labour's Lost transposed to the Windrush generation.’
- ‘It makes a difference whether they came here in bondage, as 19th century upper class Indian tourists or as economic migrants of the Windrush era.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.