One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A powered winch or similar machine used for hauling or hoisting heavy loads.
- ‘The rest of the line was hauled by cables using steam driven static winding engines at the Winding Pond in Clowes Wood and the Halt on Tyler Hill Road.’
- ‘For calculation of brakes for winding engines you can use the coefficient of friction = 0,4 as minimum.’
- ‘Another excursion takes you to the winding engine house, home to the most powerful winding engines fitted in any Scottish colliery.’
- ‘They remained in service until they were replaced by an electric winding engine in September 1964.’
- ‘Cages are normally suspended on a steel winding rope, attached to the drum of the winding engine via a pulley on the headgear.’
- ‘It is believed to be the only steam winding engine that is in use and powered by steam, in the UK at the moment.’
- ‘You can now visit the restored Winding House and discover the story of Elliot Colliery, the local coal industry and experience the massive winding engine in action.’
- ‘To the right is the winding engine house, and in the foreground the footings of the pumping engine house.’
- ‘Amongst the exhibits housed in the Engine House is the largest steam winding engine ever used in the Lancashire Coalfield.’
- ‘By 1843 the winding engines needed costly repairs and the harbour at Whitstable suffered badly from silting, both adding to the company's financial woes.’
- ‘We had a good look at the winding engines for the cables.’
- ‘In close proximity is Levant Mine, where a working example of one of the famous Hayle winding engines has survived.’
- ‘Scotland's largest winding engine is now driven by electricity.’
- ‘Previous to that water they used for the steam winding engines was obtained from reservoirs made at the colliery.’
- ‘The pair of steam winding engines built by his works for the Hustler's Royal Reserve Co. were the largest on the Bendigo field.’
- ‘The boy, it was stated, had been employed in the pit since October last year, latterly as a winding engine cleaner and oiler.’
- ‘They have been interpreted as engine mountings for the first winding engine which was associated with sinking the shaft and the initial years of operation.’
- ‘The remains of the winding engine house at Sheep Pasture are still extant and much of the former railway is now the ‘High Peak Trail’ footpath.’
- ‘The structure is roofless, but otherwise almost intact and contains housing for a winding engine and winding gear.’
- ‘He first built the stationary winding engines for the Brusselton and Etherley inclines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.