One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A powered winch or similar machine used for hauling or hoisting heavy loads.
- ‘In close proximity is Levant Mine, where a working example of one of the famous Hayle winding engines has survived.’
- ‘He first built the stationary winding engines for the Brusselton and Etherley inclines.’
- ‘To the right is the winding engine house, and in the foreground the footings of the pumping engine house.’
- ‘Scotland's largest winding engine is now driven by electricity.’
- ‘For calculation of brakes for winding engines you can use the coefficient of friction = 0,4 as minimum.’
- ‘The remains of the winding engine house at Sheep Pasture are still extant and much of the former railway is now the ‘High Peak Trail’ footpath.’
- ‘The rest of the line was hauled by cables using steam driven static winding engines at the Winding Pond in Clowes Wood and the Halt on Tyler Hill Road.’
- ‘They remained in service until they were replaced by an electric winding engine in September 1964.’
- ‘You can now visit the restored Winding House and discover the story of Elliot Colliery, the local coal industry and experience the massive winding engine in action.’
- ‘Another excursion takes you to the winding engine house, home to the most powerful winding engines fitted in any Scottish colliery.’
- ‘It is believed to be the only steam winding engine that is in use and powered by steam, in the UK at the moment.’
- ‘The structure is roofless, but otherwise almost intact and contains housing for a winding engine and winding gear.’
- ‘The pair of steam winding engines built by his works for the Hustler's Royal Reserve Co. were the largest on the Bendigo field.’
- ‘We had a good look at the winding engines for the cables.’
- ‘The boy, it was stated, had been employed in the pit since October last year, latterly as a winding engine cleaner and oiler.’
- ‘They have been interpreted as engine mountings for the first winding engine which was associated with sinking the shaft and the initial years of operation.’
- ‘Previous to that water they used for the steam winding engines was obtained from reservoirs made at the colliery.’
- ‘Cages are normally suspended on a steel winding rope, attached to the drum of the winding engine via a pulley on the headgear.’
- ‘Amongst the exhibits housed in the Engine House is the largest steam winding engine ever used in the Lancashire Coalfield.’
- ‘By 1843 the winding engines needed costly repairs and the harbour at Whitstable suffered badly from silting, both adding to the company's financial woes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.