One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decorative arrangement of small pieces of glass, metal, or shell suspended from a frame, typically hung near a door or window so as make a tinkling sound in the draught.
- ‘I glared menacingly out the window as the wind chime shuddered and rang from the gale.’
- ‘She bought a small wind chime at the flea market and hung it in her kitchen, too.’
- ‘For example, one wind chime is lovely but dozens of them all playing different tones is not quite so good.’
- ‘Hang your wind chime by your door so that you can hear it first thing upon arriving home.’
- ‘A wall hanging with a touch of creativity, a wind chime that tinkles as it sways, and specially-prepared sweet hampers could create the right impression at almost any social occasion.’
- ‘From the vines above, I hung ceramic bells from an old wind chime, and a paper mâché figure of the man in the moon that I made.’
- ‘It is good to hang pink (heart-shaped) crystals and wind chimes in a sunny window to attract good love energy (yang).’
- ‘My dolphin-shaped wind chime hung above the window, but it was still and silent as if it was waiting for something to happen before daring to make a sound.’
- ‘Trying to decide if I ever heard a single bell or wind chime that sounded out of tune, I couldn't think of a single instance.’
- ‘I picked up my glass wind chimes and threw them against the mirror.’
- ‘The chandelier doubles as a gentle wind chime when a breeze hits.’
- ‘An odd assortment of home center and crafts store finds come together for this handmade wind chime.’
- ‘Get a wind chime and hang it where your baby can gaze at it, move and hear the pleasant music it plays.’
- ‘The wind chimes above the door made a noise as she entered.’
- ‘Bright sunlight streamed in to my room through my open window, causing my wind chimes to sparkle and throw dancing patterns of light on the walls.’
- ‘There is too much furniture and clutter in the second bedroom, including the wind chimes hanging in the window, which could be removed.’
- ‘On one side of his mobile home, Cohen has built a deck decorated with bamboo wind chimes and flowerpots.’
- ‘A small rock-based fountain in the corner of a room, a planter of bright flowers in the window or wind chimes at the door all make an Earth presence.’
- ‘You can even get chimes that are hand tuned if you are really into the sound quality of your wind chime.’
- ‘This has led some people to believe that they are practicing Feng Shui simply by dangling a wind chime by a window.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.