A large North American sandpiper.
- ‘On the beach we saw some willets and gulls but no terns or sanderlings.’
- ‘For some shorebird species, such as willets and dunlin, we had diet data from BBH, although diets for several other species at this site are unknown.’
- ‘This was also true with the common snipe, lesser yellowlegs, willet, and western sandpiper.’
- ‘A brief summary of the meeting's minutes are as follows: we're fairly confident that we've seen willets in the past and there's no way Sara is going to drive out to Jamaica Bay just to solidify a sandpiper sighting.’
- ‘From there, you can walk along the island's beach below the headquarters for a quarter to half a mile to extensive mud flats where colorful American oystercatchers, willets, black-bellied plovers and red knots are usually numerous.’
Mid 19th century: imitative of its call, pill-will-willet.