One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall aquatic American grass related to rice, with edible grains.
Zizania aquatica, family Gramineae
- ‘This area supports an extensive stand of wild rice, as well as the federal-threatened Aeschynomene virginica.’
- ‘The Ahnishinabe Native American Indian tribe of North America say their ancestors saw in visions tracts of wild rice.’
- ‘Gish did not identify any wild rice, maize, or cucurbit pollen.’
- ‘The latter, sometimes called Manchurian wild rice or water grass, has broader leaves, which are used for wrapping dumplings.’
- ‘If your pond is at least three feet deep, you can experiment with wild rice, water lotus, and water lily.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.