Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A wild member of the dog family, especially the hunting dog of Africa, the dhole of India, or the dingo of Australia.
- ‘The dingo, a wild dog, is thought to have contributed to the tiger's demise on mainland Australia and in Papua New Guinea.’
- ‘Other animals photographed included elephants, sun bears, porcupines, clouded leopards, wild dogs, and panthers.’
- ‘If these wild dogs don't die of sheer starvation, he said, diseases such as parvovirus, heartworm, or intestinal parasites usually kill them.’
- ‘Carnivores that engage in cooperative group hunting include wild dogs, wolves, hyenas, lions and meercats.’
- ‘You will also see gemsbok, springbok, eland, blue wildebeest, cheetahs, wild dogs, jackals, bat-eared foxes and leopards.’
- ‘Because they prey on calves and sheep, dingoes and wild dogs are viewed as a threat to livestock.’
- ‘A mixed pack of coyotes and wild dogs had found the open gate.’
- ‘Police marksmen with Aborigine trackers were hunting for two dingoes or wild dogs who attacked the boys on Fraser Island, scene of a spate of attacks in recent years.’
- ‘Along the way we encountered straggly herds of llamas and occasional wild dogs.’
- ‘Unlike most large canids, wild dogs do not announce their presence by howling, but with a scent message that can last for months.’
- ‘All are surrounded by walls of stone and thornbush to keep out the wild animals, such as leopard, hyena, and wild dog.’
- ‘Gardiner said they would soon also reintroduce spotted hyena, wild dog and, hopefully, the rare Cape vulture.’
- ‘He does his part to ensure the survival of the wild dogs in his area.’
- ‘The predators - cheetahs, leopards, lions, wild dogs, hyenas, wild dogs, and jackals - naturally follow.’
- ‘African wild dogs use their sense of sight, not smell, to find their prey.’
- ‘A deer being chased by a wild dog, hurtling across some large featureless plain beneath a sky the deep blue-black of ink, interspersing its run with elegant bounds, that delicate prettiness even in its death-flight.’
- ‘Australia has long battled its native wild dog the dingo, but now domestic hunting dogs have bred with dingoes to produce a larger, aggressive feral dog.’
- ‘The other predators in this tropical mixed deciduous forest include the panther, the wild dog and the sloth bear.’
- ‘For example, there was a fluctuation in the wild dog and hyena population in Mudumalai sanctuary due to the spread of diseases such as distemper.’
- ‘Following on their heels are the predators of the savanna - lion, cheetah, wild dog, jackal, hyena and vultures.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.