One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wild member of the dog family, especially the hunting dog of Africa, the dhole of India, or the dingo of Australia.
- ‘If these wild dogs don't die of sheer starvation, he said, diseases such as parvovirus, heartworm, or intestinal parasites usually kill them.’
- ‘Carnivores that engage in cooperative group hunting include wild dogs, wolves, hyenas, lions and meercats.’
- ‘All are surrounded by walls of stone and thornbush to keep out the wild animals, such as leopard, hyena, and wild dog.’
- ‘Because they prey on calves and sheep, dingoes and wild dogs are viewed as a threat to livestock.’
- ‘He does his part to ensure the survival of the wild dogs in his area.’
- ‘A mixed pack of coyotes and wild dogs had found the open gate.’
- ‘Other animals photographed included elephants, sun bears, porcupines, clouded leopards, wild dogs, and panthers.’
- ‘The dingo, a wild dog, is thought to have contributed to the tiger's demise on mainland Australia and in Papua New Guinea.’
- ‘You will also see gemsbok, springbok, eland, blue wildebeest, cheetahs, wild dogs, jackals, bat-eared foxes and leopards.’
- ‘African wild dogs use their sense of sight, not smell, to find their prey.’
- ‘The predators - cheetahs, leopards, lions, wild dogs, hyenas, wild dogs, and jackals - naturally follow.’
- ‘Unlike most large canids, wild dogs do not announce their presence by howling, but with a scent message that can last for months.’
- ‘Australia has long battled its native wild dog the dingo, but now domestic hunting dogs have bred with dingoes to produce a larger, aggressive feral dog.’
- ‘Along the way we encountered straggly herds of llamas and occasional wild dogs.’
- ‘Following on their heels are the predators of the savanna - lion, cheetah, wild dog, jackal, hyena and vultures.’
- ‘A deer being chased by a wild dog, hurtling across some large featureless plain beneath a sky the deep blue-black of ink, interspersing its run with elegant bounds, that delicate prettiness even in its death-flight.’
- ‘For example, there was a fluctuation in the wild dog and hyena population in Mudumalai sanctuary due to the spread of diseases such as distemper.’
- ‘Police marksmen with Aborigine trackers were hunting for two dingoes or wild dogs who attacked the boys on Fraser Island, scene of a spate of attacks in recent years.’
- ‘The other predators in this tropical mixed deciduous forest include the panther, the wild dog and the sloth bear.’
- ‘Gardiner said they would soon also reintroduce spotted hyena, wild dog and, hopefully, the rare Cape vulture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.