Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Capacity or scope for negotiation or operation, especially in order to modify a previous statement or decision.‘the state legislature allows very little wiggle room in how to design the ballot’
freedom, scope, room to manoeuvre, latitude, elbow room, slack, space, room, liberty, room to spare, room to operate, scope for initiative, freedom of action, freedom from restriction, a free hand, flexibility, independence, licence, self-determination, free rein, free play, unrestrictedness, indulgence, margin, play, give, laxity, leisureView synonyms
- ‘The party recently gave the First Minister enough wiggle room to negotiate on it in coalition talks next May.’
- ‘Still, to give herself some wriggle room, she adds: "I don't want to say never."’
- ‘The statement appears to leave a bit of wiggle room.’
- ‘If that is the case, the treaty was shoddily written by allowing the wriggle room on a technicality.’
- ‘You may be stuck between a rock and a hard place, but if you look hard enough you'll find some wriggle room.’
- ‘You could also argue that without the press, the government would have far more power, or at least wriggle room, to carry out their schemes without opposition.’
- ‘CNET looked into it and found that there is some wriggle room in the definitions and standards.’
- ‘There's probably wiggle room in that ‘knowingly and willfully’ part.’
- ‘I suggest that you ask for more than you expect to receive so that you have wiggle room and can negotiate.’
- ‘Now, of course I'm naturally suspicious, but point two could be read as a qualification of point one, in which case it allows wiggle room for the legal torture of inmates.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.