One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A man who regularly or habitually hits his wife or female partner.‘my second husband turned out to be a wife beater’
2US informal A man's sleeveless vest or T-shirt.‘I put on some shorts and a wife beater’
- ‘Now it was a black mini-skirt with a white wife-beater and black combat boots.’
- ‘I on the other hand chose to wear dark blue jeans, a white wife-beater and matching dark blue flip flops.’
- ‘Cameron pulled his dark blue polo shirt over his white wife-beater, and checked his reflection in the mirror.’
- ‘He was now wearing a wife-beater, a plaid button-up shirt and still a pair of jeans.’
- ‘She wore a white wife-beater and soft blue jeans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.