One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A frankfurter or similar sausage.
- ‘Is it the taste of the charred meat - steak, hamburger, wieners whatever - or dining out in the fresh air that raises exhilaration to such a high level?’
- ‘Billy and I sat across from each other eating hot wieners and sharing a plate of cheese fries.’
- ‘The essence of baseball food is a bun-wrapped wiener - be it hot dog, bratwurst or sausage.’
- ‘Sneer at hot dogs all you want but a well-made wiener is a thing of beauty.’
- ‘All that can be said with any certainty is that in the closing decades of the 19th century frankfurters and wienies were being sold in buns in various cities in the USA.’
2vulgar slang A man's penis.
3informal A weak, socially inept, or boringly studious person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘After a while we find out there were more people in the basement, they were just too busy being wieners to come up.’
- ‘Or maybe we do and that's why we're contemplating calling Bob a weenie, because he reminds us too much of cousin Eddie.’
- ‘Aw, these weenies ain't gonna do nothing to us.’
- ‘Now, Manos's Master may look like a weenie with his slim build, pasty complexion, and prominent cheek bones, but the mustache is our first clue that he's a lady killer (literally).’
Early 20th century: abbreviation of German Wienerwurst ‘Vienna sausage’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.