One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An African weaver bird, the male of which has mainly black plumage and typically a long tail used in leaping displays.
Genus Euplectes, family Ploceidae: several species
- ‘This widowbird is transformed into a beautiful long-tailed bird during the mating season.’
- ‘In this study we investigated whether the carotenoid throat patch displayed by male red-collared widowbirds determines the outcome of male contests.’
- ‘For example, several species of birds such as bowerbirds, widowbirds, cock-of-the-rocks, birds of paradise, peacock-pheasants, and manakins build or clear courts used as arenas during elaborate courtship displays to females.’
- ‘At the confluence you are likely to be welcomed by a variety of widowbirds, bishops and waxbills, including White-winged, Long-tailed and Jackson's Widowbirds and Yellow and Yellow-crowned Bishops.’
- ‘For example, in widowbirds, tail length is a selected trait indicative of male quality.’
- 1.1another term for whydah
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.