One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A V-shaped growth of hair towards the centre of the forehead.‘a judge with a grey thatch combed back from a diving widow's peak’
- ‘He was a handsome, elegant-looking man with dark hair that formed a widow's peak and a thin moustache.’
- ‘I've a steadily increasing widow's peak and I wear my hair exceeding short.’
- ‘She had a high forehead and a widow's peak where her hair started out dark, then gradually lightened.’
- ‘Beneath the widow's peak of dyed blond hair, his face, as faces do, is beginning to pucker and billow.’
- ‘He has a pronounced widow's peak and the hair on his knuckles crawls over his wedding band.’
Mid 19th century: so called because it was formerly believed to be a predictor of widowhood for a woman.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.