One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small monetary contribution from someone who is poor.‘this is indeed the widow's mite—it's a whole shilling I'm giving you’
contribution, donation, benefaction, gift, present, handout, subscriptionView synonyms
- ‘At the end of the month, everyone queues up at Batelco's wickets, and the widow's mite totals millions and millions of dollars.’
- ‘For some, whose gifts are not well rewarded financially by our economic value system, time and talent may be the widow's mite that Jesus once praised so thoroughly.’
- ‘Or they are trying to squeeze out the last of the widow's mite before the country becomes a total sewer.’
- ‘Only later would Jesus teach us the preciousness of the widow's mite in the eyes of God - a lesson many, including myself, have yet to learn.’
- ‘True charity, like the widow's mite, should cost the donor something.’
With biblical allusion to Mark 12:43.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.