One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘whoso took such things into account was a fool’archaic term for whoever
- ‘And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, The Lord of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.’
- ‘But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.’
- ‘And whoso hath not the wherewithal must fast two consecutive months.’
- ‘The Word of God says ‘He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.’’
- ‘For, these are the limits imposed by Allah, and so transgress them not; for whoso transgresses Allah's limits, such are the wrongdoers.’
Middle English: shortening Old English swā hwā swā ‘so who so’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.