One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Prostitution or other promiscuous sexual activity.‘he'd accused her of adultery, betrayal, whoredom, and deceit’
- ‘He accuses his wife of whoredom, discounts her denials, and insultingly gives Emilia money as he leaves.’
- ‘For the Old Testament prophet as well as the Puritan merchant, the real fear was that God would punish the entire community for spiritual as much as for literal whoredom.’
- ‘The prominent association of religion and whoredom in the period could have been more rigorously examined in relation to Henrietta Maria.’
- ‘Hendrickje probably approved of his financial prudence, even when she was arraigned for whoredom by the Amsterdam religious police.’
- ‘She gives up champagne and whoredom, takes a room with a kindly if dotty old woman, and becomes a physical therapist for handicapped children.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.