One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rubber cushion that makes a sound like the breaking of wind when someone sits on it.
- ‘They have books, books on tape, whoopee cushions, comedy cassettes, slot machines, and generally over 500 varieties of liquid refreshment.’
- ‘As the weekend progresses, her special guests begin to discover Muffy's playful sense of humor as whoopee cushions, fall apart chairs, and dribble glasses show up at every turn.’
- ‘I got up, grabbing my bookbag full of stink bombs, whoopee cushions and other ultimate party starters.’
- ‘I got a whoopee cushion which I managed to surprise my boss with - always a good laugh!’
- ‘He also has a penchant for whoopee cushions, so that meetings begin with a definite air of farce.’
- ‘The wife is quite short, and runs excitedly around the shop trying to sell you a rubber rat, a whoopee cushion, or spicy hot chewing gum.’
- ‘Fans of the Beano and Dandy are playing a host of tricks on unsuspecting customers, the Diary learns: fake dog poo, bangers in cigarettes, whoopee cushions, vile sweets and itching powder included.’
- ‘Take, for example, those ‘consultants’ who get called in to ‘inject fun into the corporate environment’ using googly glasses and whoopee cushions.’
- ‘Before him there's a half-full ashtray and a yellow whoopee cushion.’
- ‘One afternoon, he put a whoopee cushion under Aunt Lila.’
- ‘She can get you a lip gloss for 5p, a whoopee cushion for 6p or a pen for 2p.’
- ‘From whoopee cushions to loosened lids on saltshakers, he did it all.’
- ‘‘Chaucer liked a good pun,’ says another guy who stands up slightly, then sits down again on his whoopee cushion.’
- ‘Maybe a whoopee cushion under Emily or an unguarded intimate moment of Ken pondering his diminishing supply of Viagra might give us all a bit of light relief!’
- ‘We got in trouble once for putting a whoopee cushion on a friend's seat during primary school assembly and - in comparison - that seems like nothing.’
- ‘If you snicker when someone says ‘Uranus,’ find Carrot Top absolutely hilarious, or perhaps still carry around a whoopee cushion, Conker: Live & Reloaded will be right up your alley.’
- ‘At that moment Abby sat on the whoopee cushion and let out an enormous, rude noise.’
- ‘The largest simultaneous Whoopee Cushion Sit saw a total of 1,372 people sit on whoopee cushions simultaneously at the Gala opening of the 2003 Brighton Comedy Festival on October 10, 2003.’
- ‘Qualified Microsoft engineers have been sent free whoopee cushions from the Beast of Redmond to encourage them to take Windows 2000 certification.’
- ‘The first of April is fast approaching, and pranksters are stocking up on hand buzzers and whoopee cushions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.