One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Enjoy oneself or celebrate in a noisy way.
celebrate, rejoice, enjoy oneself, make merry, have fun, have a good time, have a wild time, rave, party, have a party, revel, roister, carouse, kill the fatted calf, put the flag out, put the flags outView synonyms
- ‘You can celebrate it by whooping it up on the patio with some friends.’
- ‘They would have been whooping it up from New York to San Francisco, from Auckland and Sydney to Berlin.’
- ‘He is never to be found whooping it up in the bars or clubs of Dublin outside Dail business hours.’
- ‘Bing began his career in a jazz band, and whoops it up with the best of them in ‘You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby’ and a stomping ‘Alexanders Ragtime Band’ with Al Jolson.’
- ‘The film's most irresistible scene is a musical medley to ‘Sweet Caroline’ that shows Fallon and Barrymore in the stands, whooping it up for the Sox.’
- ‘Another Pattaya Songkran has come and gone, but this year the festivities saw literally tens of thousands of revelers whooping it up as they joyously celebrated the traditional Thai New Year.’
- ‘Yes, that's right, Jimmy Willing will whoop it up this Saturday, May 29, at The Rails in Byron Bay with his band The Real Gone Hick-Ups.’
- ‘Jugraj Singh whoops it up after scoring in India's 7-4 win against Pakistan.’
- ‘Kevin Mullings slapped his leg and whooped it up more than was necessary.’
- ‘Ashley Judd, the youthful Vivi, whoops it up with the sisters in one of the predictable flashbacks from Divine Secrets.’
- 1.1North American Create or stir up excitement or enthusiasm.
- ‘They're literally whooping it up because in the final thirty minutes of the trading session on a Friday before a three-day weekend, things get very slow.’
- ‘Nowadays, the image of cheerleaders tends to be associated with buxom blondes whooping it up for some big country boys crushing 73-17 victories out in the fields.’
- ‘That is why a lot of minorities leaders whoop it up about racism, making American blacks victims.’
- ‘As for the trailers, the audience went nuts for the Matrix trailer, whooped it up for Minority Report, laughed scornfully at Be Like Mike, and laughed their heads off at Lilo and Stitch.’
- ‘Dave Schroeder, TV services director, also signals to the crowd when it's time to whoop it up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.