One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a company whose shares are all owned by another company.
- ‘The company is a property of Ask Jeeves, Inc., a wholly-owned business of IAC / InterActiveCorp, and is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area.’
- ‘LWS was set up by Lancashire County Council in the 1990s as a wholly-owned company to provide a variety of waste services.’
- ‘Aerdart is wholly-owned by the London holding company, Metroline, and operates a high frequency shuttle bus service linking Dublin Airport to the Dart network.’
- ‘Point Information Systems is a wholly-owned subsidiary of S1 Corporation.’
- ‘NMHG, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the publicly quoted Nacco Industries of Portland, Oregon, employs more than 680 people at the plant in Craigavon.’
- ‘The council is to set up a new, wholly-owned company, which all assets and liabilities will be transferred to.’
- ‘The central bank has permitted Indian companies to transfer shares of their joint ventures or wholly-owned subsidiaries abroad by way of sale under the automatic route.’
- ‘Special mention must also be made of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group, which acquired the National Westminster Bank and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Coutts, in March 2000.’
- ‘The statement said FNB Namibia will be renamed FNB Namibia Holdings Limited and the wholly-owned subsidiary renamed First National Bank of Namibia Limited.’
- ‘Established in January 2001, Eazy Pass is a wholly-owned subsidiary of National Toll Roads Plc.’
- ‘A London company has filed a court petition to wind up the Padwa Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Irish fruit distributor Fyffes.’
- ‘Prosperity has established itself in Southern Africa as a wholly-owned Namibian health insurer.’
- ‘A wholly-owned subsidiary of theAmericanMolex Corporation, Molex Ireland has four separate facilities in Ireland.’
- ‘All its assets and liabilities will be transferred into a wholly-owned subsidiary, which will allow the resultant holding company to hold assets other than a bank.’
- ‘Canio was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ardcarn Ltd.’
- ‘With this, RPG SA, France, has now become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ranbaxy, a company statement issued today said.’
- ‘In 1995, DCC handed over management and control of the DCC stake in Fyffes to its wholly-owned Dutch subsidiary, Lotus Green.’
- ‘Multiline Agencies is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Multiline Holdings.’
- ‘Hutchison's Irish arm will be run by Hutchison 3G Ireland, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hutchison that was incorporated here in December 1999.’
- ‘Prior to the acquisition, it operated as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Brightpoint Inc.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.