Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a company whose shares are all owned by another company.
- ‘Special mention must also be made of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group, which acquired the National Westminster Bank and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Coutts, in March 2000.’
- ‘NMHG, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the publicly quoted Nacco Industries of Portland, Oregon, employs more than 680 people at the plant in Craigavon.’
- ‘Hutchison's Irish arm will be run by Hutchison 3G Ireland, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hutchison that was incorporated here in December 1999.’
- ‘Canio was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ardcarn Ltd.’
- ‘Prosperity has established itself in Southern Africa as a wholly-owned Namibian health insurer.’
- ‘The statement said FNB Namibia will be renamed FNB Namibia Holdings Limited and the wholly-owned subsidiary renamed First National Bank of Namibia Limited.’
- ‘The central bank has permitted Indian companies to transfer shares of their joint ventures or wholly-owned subsidiaries abroad by way of sale under the automatic route.’
- ‘Prior to the acquisition, it operated as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Brightpoint Inc.’
- ‘Point Information Systems is a wholly-owned subsidiary of S1 Corporation.’
- ‘In 1995, DCC handed over management and control of the DCC stake in Fyffes to its wholly-owned Dutch subsidiary, Lotus Green.’
- ‘With this, RPG SA, France, has now become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ranbaxy, a company statement issued today said.’
- ‘The council is to set up a new, wholly-owned company, which all assets and liabilities will be transferred to.’
- ‘LWS was set up by Lancashire County Council in the 1990s as a wholly-owned company to provide a variety of waste services.’
- ‘Established in January 2001, Eazy Pass is a wholly-owned subsidiary of National Toll Roads Plc.’
- ‘A London company has filed a court petition to wind up the Padwa Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Irish fruit distributor Fyffes.’
- ‘A wholly-owned subsidiary of theAmericanMolex Corporation, Molex Ireland has four separate facilities in Ireland.’
- ‘The company is a property of Ask Jeeves, Inc., a wholly-owned business of IAC / InterActiveCorp, and is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area.’
- ‘Aerdart is wholly-owned by the London holding company, Metroline, and operates a high frequency shuttle bus service linking Dublin Airport to the Dart network.’
- ‘Multiline Agencies is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Multiline Holdings.’
- ‘All its assets and liabilities will be transferred into a wholly-owned subsidiary, which will allow the resultant holding company to hold assets other than a bank.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.