Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Made with or containing whole unprocessed grains of something.‘wholegrain mustard’
- ‘Sandwich two slices of wholegrain bread around a one-ounce slice of cheddar cheese and microwave for 15 seconds.’
- ‘The Broadcaster had the baked fillet of salmon with a honey and wholegrain mustard crust.’
- ‘He advised her to eat more fruit, salads and wholegrain cereals and wholegrain bread.’
- ‘Calcium is needed for the growth of bone and teeth, and can be found in dairy products, broccoli, wholegrain cereals, sardines and sesame seeds.’
- ‘Have at least five portions of fruit and vegetables daily and go for wholegrain carbohydrate foods.’
- ‘The last thing I ate was a piece of wholegrain toast with Vegemite.’
- ‘Flavour the mash with a couple of tablespoons of wholegrain mustard or herbs such as chives and basil.’
- ‘Your morning bowl of cereal may be a more potent source of phytochemicals than you think - as long as it's a wholegrain variety.’
- ‘To keep his weight up, leftovers, if appetizing, or wholegrain toast and an apple is an easy snack.’
- ‘Eat healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables and nuts, and wholemeal and wholegrain versions of rice, pasta and bread.’
- ‘These are good before or after a workout, but at other times of the day, the wholegrain versions are much better since they provide more fiber and have a less dramatic effect on insulin levels.’
- ‘Change your diet to include more wholegrain foods, vegetables, fruit and remove as much fat from it as possible.’
- ‘There is some evidence that wholegrain cereals may help reduce the risk of heart disease, and the presence of heart-healthy nuts should help here too.’
- ‘Certain seafoods, notably oysters, along with milk, wholegrain breads, dark-meat poultry, and nuts like cashews also provide this multipurpose mineral.’
- ‘Combining this dish with oatcakes or wholegrain bread makes a perfect protein meal, which will sustain energy longer.’
- ‘For the second year in a row, Vics has won gold for its wholegrain bread in the Baker of the Year competition, announced last week.’
- ‘I buy white bread because it is cheaper, but I love wholegrain and rye bread.’
- ‘Carbohydrates are a vital ingredient of a footballer's diet, with wholegrain rice and wholemeal bread being popular choices.’
- ‘Foods rich in B vitamins are green leafy vegetables, wholegrain breads and cereals, nuts, legumes and lean meats.’
- ‘The next best would be wholegrain toast with an egg or some nut butter - protein food.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.