One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A note having the time value of two minims or four crotchets, represented by a ring with no stem. It is the longest note now in common use.Also called semibreve
- ‘For people who might look at the score, with its long held whole notes and wonder where the music is, I can tell you that it is in the living, trembling, vibrating sounds that these dots are converted into performance.’
- ‘The whole note derives from the semibrevis of mensural notation, and this is the origin of the British name.’
- ‘The note twice the length of the whole note is the double whole note (or breve).’
- ‘Students will first begin by identifying which color M&Ms represent which notes: an eighth note, a quarter note, a half note, and a whole note (the pretzels will be the stems).’
- ‘If the strings were given anything to play besides extended whole notes, I didn't hear it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.