One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A slender-bodied marine fish of the cod family, which lives in shallow European waters and is a commercially important food fish.
- ‘Experts want a total ban on cod, whiting and hake fishing in the Irish Sea, a measure that would affect about a fifth of the Irish fishing industry.’
- ‘Throughout a packed week of events, the Humber Seafood Group is also promoting red fish, whiting, and Greenland halibut.’
- ‘Their diet includes several fish species, such as anchovy, whiting and herring.’
- ‘From the ocean, choices include squid, whole red snapper, whiting and sardines, most of which usually look like they've just come from the fishmonger next door.’
- ‘Ann Kirk of the National Federation of Fish Fryers said: ‘Some fryers are moving over to other species - such as haddock, whiting, hake or plaice.’’
2usually with modifier Any of a number of marine fishes similar to the whiting.
- ‘There's clear evidence that they are taking a terrible toll on species like king george whiting and garfish.’
- ‘Leighton Beach has fished well for garfish, herring and yellow-finned whiting and for anglers with limited mobility is not a bad spot to fish.’
- ‘The study showed that two kinds of commercial fish, blue whiting and redfishes, ‘will have retracted completely from the North Sea by 2050’.’
- ‘Pleased they had got an increase in the white fish quota, he hoped the quota drop in blue whiting and horse mackerel could be made up in some way.’
- ‘There is no reason to suppose that any of these kingfish or "king whiting" actually came from as far east or north as Cape Cod, or even from anywhere in southern New England waters for that matter.’
Middle English: from Middle Dutch wijting, from wijt ‘white’.
Ground chalk used for purposes such as whitewashing and cleaning metal plate.
- ‘Formulas have varied through the ages to include white lead, chalk, or whiting mixed with binders.’
- ‘For more serious stains, you may need to use a poultice - an absorbent compound, such as powdered whiting mixed with hydrogen peroxide - which will pull the stain out.’
- ‘Remove rust by rubbing the affected area with super fine steel wool or a raw potato that has been dipped in whiting.’
- ‘The inert material can be talc, whiting or fuller's earth available from your local hardware store while the solvent will vary based on the type of stain.’
- ‘Belgium is also an important producer of several industrial minerals, including limestone, dolomite, whiting, sodium sulfate, silica sand, and marble.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.