Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Wherever:‘she was free to drift whithersoever she chose’
- ‘To a materialist, we are just congeries of atoms; and atoms must go whithersoever they are driven by the laws of physics and blind chance.’
- ‘And a certain scribe came, and said unto Him, Master, I will follow Thee whithersoever Thou goest.’
- ‘Have I not commanded thee?… Be strong and of a good courage… I will be with thee whithersoever thou goest.’
- ‘This means, first of all that we must know Christ, really know him, and live our lives as those joined in love to the Saviour, following him whithersoever he goes.’
- ‘These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.