Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make or become white.[with object] ‘snow whitened the mountain tops’[no object] ‘she gripped the handle until her knuckles whitened’
become white, make white, become pale, make pale, bleach, blanch, lighten, fade, wash out, be washed out, etiolateblancowhiteView synonyms
- ‘We felt the wind pick up, saw waves whiten, but until the water went black and the bottle was empty we went on talking, nobody saying a word.’
- ‘He gripped his boomerang tightly, whitening his knuckles.’
- ‘Isaac stood there, snow whitening his black hair.’
- ‘If you have been using bleach to whiten clothes and they are now graying, switch to peroxide.’
- ‘Following the example of numerous celebrities, it is fast becoming the norm to have your teeth whitened professionally.’
- ‘The image occurs in the lower half of the composition; the upper half has been whitened with bleach and salt, framing the partially protected torso on view.’
- ‘Mike gripped the arms of his seat until his knuckles whitened.’
- ‘The old wizard's knuckles whitened on his staff.’
- ‘I clench the steering wheel, my knuckles whitening.’
- ‘This prospect is further whitening the knuckles of Vodafone shareholders.’
- ‘It had my audience on the edge of its seats, lips parted, knuckles whitened.’
- ‘Some of the other buildings were whitened with snow.’
- ‘In the early 1990s, 46 of the 145 pulp mills in Canada used various chlorine bleaching processes to whiten paper.’
- ‘For some reason, even after all these years, they have never faded, or even whitened.’
- ‘In a food processor or a medium mixing-bowl, blend the sugar with the eggs until the mixture whitens slightly.’
- ‘She pressed her lips together until they whitened and turned numb.’
- ‘I gripped my backpack, knuckles whitening as the trepidation in my gut hardened into anger.’
- ‘Dental Miracle is the single remedy I would take to a desert island, as it not only works to promote healthier gums, but also freshens breath and whitens teeth.’
- ‘Jason's knuckles whitened as he tightened his hold on his gun.’
- ‘The bleach will whiten fungi or algae but does not change the color of dirt.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.