One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1informal A pale or white-topped pustule on the skin.
- ‘This basically means she squeezes your spots, whiteheads and blackheads alike.’
- ‘The bumps can be blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, or cysts.’
- ‘I use to have constant red bumps and whiteheads from ingrown hairs after shaving.’
- ‘Some degree of acne is seen in 85% of adolescents, and nearly all teens have the occasional pimple, blackhead, or whitehead.’
- ‘If the pore is completely blocked, it forms a whitehead.’
- ‘These help thicken the hair follicle's lining, causing blackheads / whiteheads.’
- ‘These pimples vary according to the severity of the acne and range from whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, nodules to cysts.’
- ‘The whiteheads are going down and drying, leaving nearly invisible scars.’
- ‘If the plugged follicle, or comedo, stays beneath the skin, it is called a closed comedo and produces a white bump called a whitehead.’
- ‘The resulting build up of sebum behind the blockage helps produce blackheads and whiteheads.’
- ‘You have moderate acne if you have swelling, red bumps, or pustules, along with the whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘Salicylic acid is effective, especially on whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘The same medicines used for acne often work for whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘The pimples of rosacea, which often occur as the disease progresses, are different from those of acne because blackheads and whiteheads are not present.’
- ‘Acne is the blanket term used for skin irritations, including blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and the deeper cysts that may form on your shoulders, neck, face or other areas.’
- ‘Differin is very effective for treating blackheads and whiteheads, and even some cystic acne.’
- ‘With inflammatory acne, the whiteheads become overloaded with bacteria and swell, producing pimples and pustules.’
- ‘Like benzoyl peroxide, sulfur keeps bacteria in check and works wonders on whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.’
- ‘Both whiteheads and blackheads may stay in the skin for a long time.’
- ‘‘Milia are essentially whiteheads that have closed over themselves,’ Kunin explains.’
2A small New Zealand songbird with a white head and underparts, found only on the North Island.
- ‘Formerly widespread in the North Island, the Whitehead has suffered a marked decline in the past two centuries since European colonisation and today is restricted to a fraction of its former range.’
- ‘Inconspicuous little communal insect eaters, aptly named whiteheads, were reintroduced next, in 1989.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.