Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1informal A pale or white-topped pustule on the skin.
- ‘The resulting build up of sebum behind the blockage helps produce blackheads and whiteheads.’
- ‘If the plugged follicle, or comedo, stays beneath the skin, it is called a closed comedo and produces a white bump called a whitehead.’
- ‘This basically means she squeezes your spots, whiteheads and blackheads alike.’
- ‘Differin is very effective for treating blackheads and whiteheads, and even some cystic acne.’
- ‘The bumps can be blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, or cysts.’
- ‘I use to have constant red bumps and whiteheads from ingrown hairs after shaving.’
- ‘These pimples vary according to the severity of the acne and range from whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, nodules to cysts.’
- ‘The whiteheads are going down and drying, leaving nearly invisible scars.’
- ‘Salicylic acid is effective, especially on whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘The pimples of rosacea, which often occur as the disease progresses, are different from those of acne because blackheads and whiteheads are not present.’
- ‘You have moderate acne if you have swelling, red bumps, or pustules, along with the whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘Acne is the blanket term used for skin irritations, including blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and the deeper cysts that may form on your shoulders, neck, face or other areas.’
- ‘These help thicken the hair follicle's lining, causing blackheads / whiteheads.’
- ‘With inflammatory acne, the whiteheads become overloaded with bacteria and swell, producing pimples and pustules.’
- ‘The same medicines used for acne often work for whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘If the pore is completely blocked, it forms a whitehead.’
- ‘‘Milia are essentially whiteheads that have closed over themselves,’ Kunin explains.’
- ‘Both whiteheads and blackheads may stay in the skin for a long time.’
- ‘Like benzoyl peroxide, sulfur keeps bacteria in check and works wonders on whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.’
- ‘Some degree of acne is seen in 85% of adolescents, and nearly all teens have the occasional pimple, blackhead, or whitehead.’
2A small New Zealand songbird with a white head and underparts, found only on the North Island.
- ‘Inconspicuous little communal insect eaters, aptly named whiteheads, were reintroduced next, in 1989.’
- ‘Formerly widespread in the North Island, the Whitehead has suffered a marked decline in the past two centuries since European colonisation and today is restricted to a fraction of its former range.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.