One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun White stage make-up.‘the man in whiteface going up on the stage’
cosmetics, greasepaintView synonyms
- ‘What would they have made of Edward D. Wood's horrifyingly inept cine-poems - or of Oscar Micheaux's melodramas, with black actors in whiteface?’
- ‘In the context of this event, the dancers' makeup - whiteface with eyes and mouths outlined - had a disturbing edge, though as they moved they conjured more Weimar than minstrel show.’
- ‘However, it was not only in theater that this stage Irish character of whiteface began to appear.’
- ‘He has landed a ‘sit-down job, with benefits’ in an arcade, posing as Abraham Lincoln - whiteface and all - for patrons who pay to shoot blanks at him.’
- ‘The success of burlesque in the late 1860s spawned several all-female white troupes performing standard minstrel routines in whiteface.’
- ‘The top dog, Lincoln, in costume and whiteface, impersonates Honest Abe in a sideshow, for customers playing Booth to shoot at.’
- ‘Germans don whiteface for Carnival, while urban African blacks paint their faces white in rites of passage.’
- ‘This paper looks at the previously unconsidered racial stereotype of whiteface utilized by Anglo Americans in the middle of the nineteenth century to distance their working-class from those of the newly arrived immigrant Irish.’
- ‘As a black man going undercover in whiteface, he investigates this secret world with laughable results.’
- ‘In trademark whiteface and Buster Keaton regalia, Viglione pummeled his drums in a murderous rage, while Palmer's full, rich voice created a palpable drama.’
2North American A Hereford cow or bull.
- ‘I've been breeding white-faces - pure-bred Herefords.’
3An Australian warbler with a white face.
Genus Aphelocephala, family Acanthizidae: three species
- ‘No, it's just a noise that might attract some birds, particularly things like wrens and thornbills, and saffron whitefaces which we've just seen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.