One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian stream-side willow which has narrow leaves with silky white hairs on both sides, and bark which contains salicin.
Salix alba, family Salicaceae
- ‘Herbs that alleviate pain are meadowsweet and the white willow tree - both are a natural source of aspirin.’
- ‘To relieve headache pain, herbalists recommend white willow bark.’
- ‘Today's aspirin is a synthetic copy of the compound from a white willow tree studied by Dioscorides, who noted that juices from its bark and leaves eased colds' aches and fevers.’
- ‘The water comes from what the company says was once land covered in vast forests of white willow containing Salicin.’
- ‘He had ended up in a clearing, with white willows leaning to towards the water, trailing their long leafy curtain of fingers through the cool refreshing spring.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.