One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shop's sale of household linen.
- ‘The desire to save - which marketers exploit by concocting ‘white sales’ and ‘blue-light specials’ - can also lead to wasteful spending.’
- ‘The tradition of having white sales this month began in 1878 when Philadelphia's John Wanamaker discounted all the white linens in his department store.’
- ‘An example of a white sale price is 20% of list price, but this varies widely.’
- ‘The white sale may not represent the best time for consumers to buy.’
- ‘Today, white sales usually revolve around household items.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.