Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for great white shark
- ‘Over the last month there have been two ‘encounters’ with large white pointers, originally thought to have involved the same animal.’
- ‘The attack by two sharks is unusual behaviour for white pointers, which are generally regarded as solitary hunters.’
- ‘The technology comes too late for 29-year-old Bradley Smith, who was attacked by two white pointers recently while surfing in Perth.’
- ‘But he is certain that Jarrod Stehbens would not agree with some calls for great white pointers to be culled.’
- ‘A little over 6 months ago, Nick Petersen died at West Beach after being taken by a 4m white pointer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.