Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A white or silvery alloy, especially a tin-based alloy used for the surfaces of bearings.
- ‘Zirconium usually occurs as a hard, grayish white metal, whose surface has a flaky appearance.’
- ‘The other handicraft items are rudraksha puja malas, leather goods, bronze icons, white metal, wire dolls and Hyderabad pearls.’
- ‘Nearly all were made of electroplated brass, copper, or nickel silver (a white metal alloy).’
- ‘The elegant sculptures in bronze, white metal and ceramics by Raj Kumar Panwar and his wife Pushpa Devi of Delhi were the cynosure of connoisseurs.’
- ‘Among the other gift articles on display are carved images in sandalwood and ‘nookam’ wood, besides religious objects made of stone powder, white metal, black metal and brass.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.