Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The paler tissue of the brain and spinal cord, consisting mainly of nerve fibres with their myelin sheaths.Compare with grey matter
- ‘The time-resolved emission features of GBM were found to be distinct from those of the normal brain tissues, white matter and cortex.’
- ‘The white matter of the cord consists mainly of longitudinally running nerve fiber tracts that are arranged in anterior, lateral, and posterior funiculi.’
- ‘Although some neurologic findings have been associated with OCD, such as increased gray matter and decreased white matter on brain imaging, the diagnosis remains a clinical one.’
- ‘There was also a single, small cerebral metastasis in the white matter of the posterior occipital lobe.’
- ‘The mingling of gray and white matter in the ventral part of the pons produces a striped appearance which is similar at all pontine levels.’
- ‘Fibers that establish neurons' long-distance connections between brain regions, white matter normally thickens as a child grows older and represents one gauge of the brain's maturation.’
- ‘The white matter of the spinal cord is arranged around the gray matter in posterior, lateral, and anterior columns which become progressively smaller from upper to lower levels of the cord.’
- ‘On coronal sections, a mass measuring 4 cm in diameter was observed in the right frontal lobe white matter.’
- ‘Recently, it has been proposed that this condition may be caused by interactions of anti-HIV drugs with cerebrovascular endothelium, astroglial cells and white matter of the brain.’
- ‘Magnetic resonance imaging off the brain showed scattered foci of abnormal white matter signal in both cerebral hemispheres, which were considered entirely nonspecific.’
- ‘Nerve fibers found in the cortex's underlying white matter carry messages into the brain for additional processing.’
- ‘The brain has two types of tissue, white matter that holds the brain together and gray matter that contains ‘thinking cells.’’
- ‘As well as major ‘ascending’ pathways carrying sensory information up to the corresponding regions of the cerebral cortex, the white matter of the brain stem and spinal cord also contains many tracts of fibres running downwards.’
- ‘These glial cells are seen adjacent to myelinated nerve fibers in the white matter or forming satellite cells to the neurons in the gray matter.’
- ‘In this article, we explore the ability of CARS microscopy to probe axonal myelin in live spinal cord white matter isolated from guinea pigs.’
- ‘The fibers in these fasciculi form the lateral part of a vast stratum of white matter that connects the whole of the occipital cortex with the rest of the brain.’
- ‘Nearly all cases of PML involve the cerebral white matter, but it may also involve white matter of cerebellum, brainstem and spinal cord.’
- ‘The common site of its occurrence is the deep white matter in the frontal lobes of the cerebral hemisphere.’
- ‘Inflammatory cascades associated with even ‘low grade’ systemic infection may play a part in the pathogenesis of white matter and other brain damage that may result in neurodevelopmental impairment.’
- ‘The researchers are attempting to determine if underconnectivity is a general feature of the brain in autism, and are using brain imaging studies to examine the brain's white matter in people with autism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.