One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The task, believed by white colonizers to be incumbent upon them, of imposing Western civilization on the black inhabitants of European colonies.
- ‘You know, apart from ‘the white man's burden,’ there were other patronising ideas floating around at the time.’
- ‘Even the neocons, for all their viciousness and totalitarian gut instincts, sometimes show signs of taking their white man's burden seriously.’
- ‘We will go out, we will pick up the white man's burden and we will colonise these areas that are not yet under our domination.’
- ‘The self-defeating nature of imperialism is slyly suggested through a dramatic reversal that exploits the notion of the white man's burden.’
- ‘Earlier settlers are cruel and violent, unable to understand the white man's burden in Africa or the value of fairness and bureaucracy.’
- ‘He blamed the white man who, in the name of civilization and ‘the white man's burden,’ impoverished many peoples in the world.’
- ‘It is a sort of modern style of the white man's burden in 2004.’
- ‘This is hardly surprising, since the white man's burden has long been recognized as an excuse for the most vile exploitation.’
- ‘He bears the white man's burden with exceptional grace.’
- ‘He obviously thinks it's time we donned our pith helmets and picked up the white man's burden again.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.